Is there something wrong with wearing all black to work on a Monday morning?
It’s Monday morning and we’re decked out in all black.
As we were preparing to do a ‘Black Monday‘ outfit post it occurred to us that there are probably a few stylists out there who would suggest that wearing all black to work on a Monday morning is not a good idea. So we turned to Google to see what we could find on the subject of wearing all black to work on a Monday morning.
We asked Google:
Is it okay to wear all black to work on a Monday?
We came across a few interesting articles, but surprisingly we didn’t stumble across any lists of do’s and don’ts for what to wear to work on a Monday morning that had any rules about wearing all black.
First an all black outfit idea for work…
How to copy the look…
1The rich girl copy
Pair a black turtleneck sweater with a black pencil skirt and add a black single button blazer. Finish the look with a pair of black pumps and black tights. Accessorize with a chic black leather briefcase.
Items and price break down
- Ermanno Scervino Turtleneck Sweater – $593.84 (Buy)
- A.L.C. Tonne Pencil Skirt With Slit – $563.00 (Buy)
- Alexander McQueen one button blazer – $2,535.00 (Buy)
- Zoe Lee Shoes Noble Black Suede & Velvet Pump – $715.00 (Buy)
- L.A.P.A. Black Croco-style Leather Double Gusset Briefcase – $988.00 (Buy)
- Saint Laurent classic stockings – $290 (Buy)
$$ Amount you’ll need to duplicate this exact look: $5684.84
2The poor girl copy
Items and price break down
- ALDO Structured Dome Tote with Front Pocket Detail – $65.00 (Buy)
- ASOS PRIMAVERA Suede Platform Court Shoe – $116.45 (Buy)
- FPT Womens Rayon Nylon Ribbed Knit Long Sleeve Turtleneck Top – $24.50 (Buy)
- Doublju Women Scuba Stretchy Fabric Pencil Skirt – $20.00 (Buy)
- Wolford Mat Opaque 80 Tights – $55.00 (Buy)
- TOPSHOP Black Fitted Blazer – $105
$$ Total price for outfit: $385.95
Now back to the discussion on wearing all black to work on a Monday morning
One of the articles we came across via Google examined the possible psychological reason behind someone’s choice to wear all black to work on a Monday morning. Are you wearing all black by conscious fashion choice? Or all you wearing all black (consciously or subconsciously) because you feel a bit low and depressed and dark and uninspired to face the week?
Possible sub-conscious reasons we’re wearing all black to work on a Monday Morning…
We feel fat – they say black is slimming.
Maybe without knowing it we choose to wear all black on a Monday morning because we overindulged on fattening chocolates over the weekend and feel like we’ve put on a few pounds.
We feel depressed – black is the color of mourning.
Maybe our reason for wearing all black to work on a Monday morning has something to do with how we’re feeling. Maybe we’re unhappy about something (our relationships, our on-going struggle to achieve our goals, the negative balance in our bank accounts), and we just feel totally uninspired. So we sub-consciously chose an all black outfit that reflected how bleak we are feeling.
Our maybe we’re wearing all black to work on a Monday morning just because that’s what we happen to be wearing.
There are no rules that say you can’t wear all black to work on a Monday morning…